Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Holiday Baking #3: Red Velvet Cake

My shobe's weres smitten by Cook Book Kitchen's Scarlet Cake. I have been on the cake making mood this holiday season so I decided to make Red Velvet Cake for our new year's eve get together.

I got the recipe from the awesome BETTER HOMES COOKBOOK given to me by my darlings Kitty and Sal for my 30th birthday =) I love it!

I preped the red velvet cake batter...but I was kind of scared putting in 1/4 c red food color in my cake! T thwarted the red color volume and just diluted with water to make up the1/4 c required....



well...my cakes turned our perfectly spongy and no cracks...lovely =) but I think reducing the food color called for made them turn faint brown as opposed to yummy muddy red....


the frosting here is made from fresh full cream milk, real butter and sugar...no powdered sugar here...and this is the cooked type =)


I cooled my cakes and frosting completely before assembling the cake. I love this part most..its fun =)
frosting the first layer...


sandwiching with 2nd cake layer



and frost all-over!!! I made swirl designs on top and combed the sids of my cake =)


Lovely!!!! =) I think this turned out pretty good. My sis and bro's in law liked it....my dad thought the cake looked too pale brown though!hahaha. I served it new year's eve after our dinner at Sheraton. Before midnight we went back to our house to watch fireworks and eat..eat ..eat...and drink...drink...drink as 2008 ushers in!!! It was a great new year's celebration.












4 comments:

Ruy said...

Oooohhh... I'm so curious to taste it! Looks really good ah.
I'm mighty impressed.=)

Jen Tan said...

hey ruy...thanks...when i bake again will share with you guys =) parang i like making cakes this year..dunno why...last year was bread year...well parate naman bread only now ako nagaggawa ng cakes...but i am happy they turned out nice =)

Manggy said...

Hi Jen, beautiful work on the cake. You cannot overstress the importance of red food coloring in red velvet cake, though :)

I made a red velvet cake here. It used only 1-1/2 bottles of red food color-- actually you can get away with even half of that, but it's still very red. Also, you'll find my tips on tightly icing a cake. Thanks for linking to my blog!

Jen Tan said...

hey Manggy! yes..I stumbled upon your red velvet cup cake post ..but I have yet to see the cake post...will definitely check it out! I've been dying to ask anybody who has made this ...what brand of food color is best for this..1/4c was what the recipe called for...I just thought it was too much...

Thank you for dropping by..I will definitely look into your tips on icing a cake..am a novice as you can see hahaha