Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Uno Goodies and tuna spread

I just adore bread. I love making it as much as I love eating it. If I would have to choose just one source of major carbohydrate, it would be bread.

I am the only one in the house who eats whole wheat bread and so I always keep a bag of whole wheat bread in the freezer. Freezing bread keeps the shelflife longer and it doesn't affect the quality and taste. Upon buying a fresh loaf, I slice it diagonally (to form a small triangle for every slice) ang stash it at once in the freezer. So whenever I want some bread I just take what I need and pop them in the toaster. Yesterday, I went to UNO restaurant and bought me a nice soughdough ciabatta bread to replenish my emtied bread stash.

This picture does not do justice to this wondeful artisinal bread, but I guarantee that it smells so good and taste great. It has a good crust that crisps when you toast it and the has a gummy body that is soft but has a bite to it and with a slight sour flavor. This is precisely why its called SOUR dough bread! hahaha This bread is a naturally leavened bread by wild yeast. A flour mixture is made and set out to capture yeast from the air. You know that you've caught something when the dough bubles up due to fermentation by ambient yeast. This is then carefully retrieved...revived and used as a starter for various bread making purposes. The process is a bit tedious and much love and care is given to it, hence more flavor is imbibed in the dough. I have made yeast breads like pan de sal, french bread, indian roti's, doughnuts and cinnamon rolls but I have not ventured into making bread from wild yeast. It's something I plan to do someday soon.

Uno bakes their bread fresh daily as well as their pastries and cakes (if I'm not mistaken). As I was buying my beloved ciabatta, my attention was caught by these cute muffins...so I got 2 of them for my sister's bogey and bakekang. They love muffins....(I think these are banana oatmeal)


Usually I like sourdough with soup---that's lunch or dinner already! My friend Elaine and I share this passion for the UNO sourdough and we have it with soup for lunch. Since I only have canned soup at home and too lazy to make soup from scratch, I decided to make tuna spread instead.

I used 2 cans of tuna chunkcs in water and some sweet pickle relish that I set out to drain first. Normally I put a small can pineapple tidbits to give an added sweetness and the sour taste cuts through the fishy taste of the tuna. Unfortunately, the pantry was out of pineapple today. I like to add canned chopped pimientos that I drain with all of these to give a prettier color and added flavor as well, but again, pantry is out so make do with what I have right?

I mixed some low fat mayonaise, mustard, a finely chopped onion, a dash of salt, freshly ground pepper, a dash of worcestershire sacue, a sprinkling of sugar and some parmesan cheese.

I added the ingredients I set out to drain, into the mayo mix and mix it thoroughly....the pic here doesn't look appetizing (I know...it looks all yellow sad and yucky!hehehe) ....blame the poor lighting in the kitchen and my phone camera! But just please take my word for it...its yummy ;P (though the version with complete ingredients is still better)


I had these for breakfast---my tuna spread with toasted sourdough ciabatta... and teensie-weensie dollop of macaroni salad I found in the ref!

I tried to pose the bread in another way....they still don't look good! rats!!!! I need to read on food styling techniques if I want to be convincing here..hahahaha!

No comments: