Monday, May 21, 2007

Cook Book Kitchen

I got up early Sunday morning to do lots of baking! I have to finish 6 boxes of Cinnamon rolls for my friend Sal! So bake..bake ...bake! It was really hot but I managed to finish them all by 11 am---yey!!! =)

Sal fetched me around noon so we could have lunch together. Since we had the luxury of time, I suggested that we try The Cook Book Kitchen. I read about it first, in Meg magazine (yes...I am a fan of Meg and Candy mags!!! I really can relate to these magazines far more than Cosmo, Mega etc.. =) I wonder why???hehehe) while having my nails done and the feature caught my attention. I scribbled down the location and vowed to find this place, because Drew Arellano, sowre by the food here!

If it's meant to be..it's meant to be! The Cook Book Kitchen is located at Luna Mencias corner Soccorro St. in Shaw. I wasn't really sure where these streets were ...but can you belive I didn't get us lost! We found the place like I knew exaclty where it was! hahaha ---Fabuloso ei?! It's in a residential area...the place is quiant and casual. There were several cookbooks on shelves, decorating the homey resto. The menu is simple yet interesting and the price---I think affordable but not cheap, cheap.

This was the Champignons with Caramelized Onions (Php 88.00)

A nice appetizer....tasty and light. How can you go wrong with mushrooms =) ?

This is the Parmesan Crusted White Fish (Php 240.00)

This is what Drew A. was raving about in Meg. He described it to be "melt in your mouth" and really yummy. It was yummy and the fish was cooked to a very soft done-ness. I think the melt in your mouth is from the topping...which I detect, to contain some mayo, rosemary and cheese. I liked how the bechamel-like topping was baked to a crusty finish, with the fish underneath still very soft, with butter weeping at the bottom of the dish. Its very rich tasting so it was just fitting that it was served with plain rice.

We also shared this Frutti Di Mare Pasta (php 220.00). It is spaghetti with shrimps, white fish & squid in red sauce.

What you're looking at is half a serving, so you can just imagine the entire serving to be quite substantial. I wished the pasta was cooked al dente. I think it was a tad bit over cooked. Noetheless it was flavorful and good =) Served witha piece of ciabbatta.

There was much rave about Kittin's Red Velvet Cake, which was on the dessert list. Unfortunately it was not available...."naubos nung Saturday" the waitress informed us. I guess it must really be good then =)....makes me all the more curious about what this cake is all about. Is it chocolate? Why is it red??? Strawberry perhaps? ;P hehehe I would definitely go back to this place. It's good for casual lunches or weekday dinner with friends ...or a loved one =)

Sal and I enjoyed our lunch and catching up with eachother.

4 comments:

christine said...

I really like Cookbook Kitchen! It's right across my sister's house so it's convenient for us to go when we're there visiting. The red velvet cake is indeed delicious, as well as the lemon poppy seed cake. But that parmesan-crusted fish, yum!! I wrote about CK also in my blog last year. I'm glad they're getting the exposure they deserve. :)

Jen Tan said...

hey Christine! You're sis is so lucky!=) I must go back for that red velvet cake---what does it taste like??? Lemon poppy seed cake sounds yummy too!!!!! I must really go back there...maybe we'll bump into eachother! =)

I'll check your post on CK too! hahaha

Didi said...

Where is this exactly? I have been looking for this place for months!

Jen Tan said...

Di...if you're coming from Ortigas-Shaw (yun Palladium at your Left) go straight...pssing PureGold and Honda Cars Shaw. Then you make a RIGHT NEXT street ng Luna Mencias...kase ONE WAY ang LUNA MENCIAS. Pag ka RIGHT mo...RIGHT AGAIN SA LUNA MENCIAS tas LEFT sa SOCCORRO. You won't miss it. Residential area yun...CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST baka mali ang directions ko! ;Phahahahaha Do try it with Edi....sama ako!!! hahahaha