Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Garlic Parsley in Crabfat Cream Rigatoni ala Jen =)


It's time to cook! Yeah, it has been quite a while since I last whipped something up from the kitchen...from the office kitchen that is =)

I was just inspired to make a pasta dish....something made with crabfat! I was actually looking for ideas on how to go about my crabby-fatty sauce....and chatted with my friend Oli of nice herbal suggestions. It was actually him who gave me the idea of using parsley! Thanks Kras ;P

I was thinking in the line of a carbonara...replacing the bacon with crab fat but I wanted the essence of the crabfat not really having a full crab fat sauce...sort of like when you add anchovies to caesar or oil based pasta dishes. That was my cooking inspiration.

So here is how I made this...I don't follow a recipe and I don't measure my ingredients...so just went with insticnts. I heated up a pan and put about 4 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil...sauteed about 4 cloves of minced garlic and added about 2-3 tablespoons of bottled crabfat (Claude Tayag's--Claude 9 crabfat is really good) and sauteed about a handfull of minced parsley. I took it off the flame and added a mixture of non-fat milk that I blended with 1 fresh egg and added this slowly to the sautee while conscientiously stiring. I got a box of Barilla Rigatoni Pasta...cooked enough for 1-2 servings, in a pot of salty boiling water untill al dente...fished the hot pasta and placed them into the sauce. I added about 2 tablespoons of pasta cooking water and about 1/4 cup bread crumbs to thicken up and make it adhere to the Rigatoni. Rigatoni has a big surface area per bite so it is essential that the sauce is full flavored and can coat each pasta very well. I seasoned it with salt and white pepper to taste and added more chopped parsley foir garnishing and to a bit of freshness to round up the flavor of my pasta dish =)

Perhaps you may add parmesan cheese, but I opted not to because I think the sauce is rich tasting enough as is.

Turned out pretty good =)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey, i think you did great with your pasta dish... looks creamy and yum... :)

Jen Tan said...

thanks so much mikky =)